US Attorney General Bondi tells Fox News many judges need to be removed

US Attorney General Bondi tells Fox News many judges need to be removed
Attorney General Pam Bondi. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 28 March 2025
Follow

US Attorney General Bondi tells Fox News many judges need to be removed

US Attorney General Bondi tells Fox News many judges need to be removed

WASHINGTON: US Attorney General Pam Bondi said on Thursday many of the judges who have recently ruled against the administration of President Donald Trump need to be removed.
“These judges obviously cannot be impartial. They cannot be objective,” Bondi said during an interview on Fox News’ “The Ingraham Angle” show.
“They are district judges trying to control our entire country, our entire country, and they are trying to obstruct Donald Trump’s agenda.”


Sri Lanka, India forge defense, energy ties during Modi’s visit

Sri Lanka, India forge defense, energy ties during Modi’s visit
Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Sri Lanka, India forge defense, energy ties during Modi’s visit

Sri Lanka, India forge defense, energy ties during Modi’s visit
  • Indian leader awarded Mithra Vibhushan, island nation’s highest civilian honor
  • Sri Lanka, India, UAE agree to build energy hub in Trincomalee

 

Colombo: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi received a ceremonial guard of honor in Colombo on Saturday as his delegation signed energy and defense agreements with Sri Lanka, where New Delhi competes with China for greater influence.
Sri Lankan President Anura Kumara Dissanayake rolled out the red carpet for Modi and welcomed him with a 19-gun salute in the capital’s Independence Square.
He also conferred Sri Lanka’s highest civilian honor, Mithra Vibhushan, on the Indian prime minister.
“This prestigious honor, which was introduced in 2008, is conferred upon heads of states and government for their friendship, and honorable Prime Minister Modi highly deserves this honor. That is what we firmly believe,” Dissanayake said during a joint press conference with Modi, after the two countries signed seven cooperation agreements.
Modi arrived in Sri Lanka on Friday evening from Thailand, where he participated in the annual summit of BIMSTEC, a regional grouping of the seven countries on the Bay of Bengal.
He is accompanied by External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar, National Security Adviser Ajit Doval, and Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri, who signed agreements on defense cooperation, information and technology sharing, and energy imports and exports with the Sri Lankan government.
Another energy deal was signed between India, Sri Lanka, and the UAE on cooperation in the development of Trincomalee port as an energy hub.
“We welcome the important agreements made in the area of defense cooperation. We have also agreed to work together on the Colombo security conclave and security cooperation in the Indian Ocean,” Modi said.
“The agreement reached to build a multiproduct pipeline and to develop Trincomalee as an energy hub will benefit all Sri Lankans. The Grid Inter-Connectivity Agreement between the two countries will create opportunities for Sri Lanka to export electricity.”
The Indian prime minister is the first foreign head of state to visit the island nation since Dissanayake and his leftist alliance swept last year’s presidential and parliamentary elections.
The visit comes as Colombo balances ties with India, its powerful neighbor, and China, its biggest lender, which at the same time is India’s main regional foe.
Dissanayake’s first foreign visit as president was to New Delhi in December, followed by a visit to Beijing in January, highlighting Sri Lanka’s careful diplomacy between the two powers.
“Within the Indian subcontinent and Chinese belt, Sri Lanka is caught as a strategic island — not only in the Indian Ocean — between these two giants,”  historian and analyst Dr. B.A. Hussainmiya  told Arab News.
“Their geopolitical interest is centering in the Indian Ocean and in the Himalayas, so Sri Lanka, being a very small country, cannot hold its strength unless it creates a balanced and nuanced diplomatic approach between these two powers to keep it afloat in the system.”


Ukrainian drones hit explosives plant in Russia’s Samara region, Kyiv source says

Ukrainian drones hit explosives plant in Russia’s Samara region, Kyiv source says
Updated 3 min 26 sec ago
Follow

Ukrainian drones hit explosives plant in Russia’s Samara region, Kyiv source says

Ukrainian drones hit explosives plant in Russia’s Samara region, Kyiv source says
  • The SBU continues to conduct targeted operations against Russian enterprises

KYIV: Ukrainian drones struck an explosive production facility in Russia’s Samara region overnight, causing multiple explosions and fires, a source in Ukraine’s SBU security service told Reuters on Saturday.


“The SBU continues to conduct targeted operations against Russian enterprises that are part of the military-industrial complex and produce weapons for the war against Ukraine,” the source said.
“Such facilities are absolutely legitimate military targets.”

 


USAID team fired while in Myanmar earthquake zone, ex-official says

USAID team fired while in Myanmar earthquake zone, ex-official says
Updated 20 min 50 sec ago
Follow

USAID team fired while in Myanmar earthquake zone, ex-official says

USAID team fired while in Myanmar earthquake zone, ex-official says
  • “This team is working incredibly hard, focussed on getting humanitarian aid to those in need. To get news of your imminent termination — how can that not be demoralizing?” said Wong
  • The Trump administration has moved to fire nearly all USAID staff in recent weeks

BANGKOK: Three US aid workers were laid off while in Myanmar helping the rescue and recovery from the country’s massive earthquake, a former senior staffer said, as the Trump administration’s dismantling of foreign aid affects its disaster response.
After traveling to the Southeast Asian nation, the three officials were told late this week they would be let go, Marcia Wong, a former official at the US Agency for International Development, told Reuters.
“This team is working incredibly hard, focussed on getting humanitarian aid to those in need. To get news of your imminent termination — how can that not be demoralizing?” said Wong, former deputy administrator of USAID’s Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance, which oversees Washington’s disease response efforts overseas.
President Donald Trump’s government has pledged at least $9 million to Myanmar after the magnitude-7.7 quake, which has killed more than 3,300. But his administration’s massive cuts to USAID have hindered its ability to respond, while China, Russia, India and other nations have rushed in assistance.
The Trump administration has moved to fire nearly all USAID staff in recent weeks, as billionaire Elon Musk’s Department of Government Efficiency has slashed funding and dismissed contractors across the federal bureaucracy in what it calls an attack on wasteful spending. The three USAID workers have been sleeping on the streets in the earthquake zone, Wong said, adding that their terminations would take effect in a few months. Residents have been sleeping outside for fear of aftershocks and further building collapses, Wong said she is in contact with remaining USAID staff and that she heard about the terminations after an all-staff meeting on Friday. Former USAID staff say most of the people who would have coordinated the response have been let go, while third-party implementing partners have lost contracts. The US State Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Friday rejected criticism that Washington was slow to respond to the March 28 earthquake because USAID was dismantled.
Rather, he told reporters in Brussels, Myanmar was not “the easiest place to work,” saying the military government does not like the United States and prevents it from operating in the country as it wants to.
The United Nations has said the junta was limiting humanitarian aid.
Rubio said the US would no longer be the world’s top humanitarian donor, calling on other wealthy nations to step up in assisting Myanmar.


Zelensky slams US embassy for ‘weak’ reaction to deadly strike

Zelensky slams US embassy for ‘weak’ reaction to deadly strike
Updated 45 min 36 sec ago
Follow

Zelensky slams US embassy for ‘weak’ reaction to deadly strike

Zelensky slams US embassy for ‘weak’ reaction to deadly strike
  • Zelensky said that the “reaction of the US Embassy is unpleasantly surprising“
  • “Such a strong country, such a strong people — and such a weak reaction“

KYIV: Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on Saturday slammed the US embassy in Ukraine for what he called a “weak” statement that did not blame Russia for a missile strike that killed 18 people.
The criticism came as US President Donald Trump has pushed for a partial ceasefire between Russia and Ukraine while seeking a thaw in ties with Moscow.
A Russian ballistic missile strike on Friday evening hit a residential area in Zelensky’s home town of Kryvyi Rig in central Ukraine, killing 18 including nine children. The Ukrainian president said 62 were wounded.
Writing on social media Zelensky said that the “reaction of the US Embassy is unpleasantly surprising.”
“Such a strong country, such a strong people — and such a weak reaction,” Zelensky said.
“They are even afraid to say the word ‘Russian’ when talking about the missile that killed the children.”
US Ambassador Bridget Brink posted on Friday evening when there was not a complete toll: “Horrified that tonight a ballistic missile struck near a playground and restaurant in (Kryvyi Rig). More than 50 people injured and 16 killed, including 6 children. This is why the war must end.”
Numerous comments under the post criticized Brink for not saying that Russia launched the attack.
Brink was appointed by Trump’s predecessor Joe Biden and has been ambassador since May 2022.
In recent posts on X she has not directly named Russia while referring to attacks on Ukraine, which she did regularly until mid-February, when Zelensky and Trump had an angry exchange in the Oval Office.


UK rejects asylum plea from Afghan human rights defender

UK rejects asylum plea from Afghan human rights defender
Updated 05 April 2025
Follow

UK rejects asylum plea from Afghan human rights defender

UK rejects asylum plea from Afghan human rights defender
  • Woman worked with Western-backed rights projects before 2021 Taliban takeover
  • 2,000 Afghan asylum-seekers had claims rejected in last quarter of 2024, up from 48 in same period of 2023

LONDON: An Afghan woman who risked her life defending human rights in her country has had her UK asylum claim rejected, The Guardian reported on Saturday.

Mina, whose name has been changed for anonymity reasons, supported Western-backed projects across Afghanistan before the Taliban takeover in 2021.

She traveled to Britain following the withdrawal of the Western coalition, but has now been told by the Home Office that it is safe for her to return.

“I assumed my asylum claim would be granted — I am from Afghanistan, I’m a woman, I worked with Western governments,” she said.

“The refusal was an absolute shock. Now every day I fear being sent back to my home country. Having a normal life here looks like a dream for me. I’m really suffering mentally.”

Previously, the Home Office had generally accepted asylum claims from women like Mina, yet 26 Afghan women were rejected in the last three months of 2024, statistics show.

Mina’s solicitor Jamie Bell said: “It is shocking that 26 Afghan women were refused asylum in the last quarter. However this is a particularly upsetting case where the Home Office states that a woman who risked her life defending women’s rights in Afghanistan would not be at risk on return.

“The UK should be proud to offer protection to an individual like her. This refusal letter is offensive to all those who defended Western values in Afghanistan and who ought to be offered protection when they cannot safely return.”

In total, 2,000 Afghan asylum-seekers had their claims rejected in the last three months of 2024 — a surge from 48 in the same period of 2023.

Mina said: “When I was working with Western government projects, I received security training about how to respond if I was caught up in a bombing or a kidnapping. Every day I was a few minutes or a few seconds away from bomb blasts.

“My heart beat so fast when I had to pass the checkpoints. Every morning when I said goodbye to my family to go to work I thought it might be the last time I saw them.

“Some of my colleagues just disappeared. The Taliban changed the Ministry of Women’s Affairs to the Ministry of Vice and Virtue — proper, systematic elimination of women.”

Women and girls face serious risks to their safety in Afghanistan, a Human Rights Watch report published this year found.

Mina had personally told Home Office interviewers of the dangers she faced in Afghanistan as a result of her work.

But the official who rejected her claim said: “It is considered that you do not face a real risk of persecution or harm on your return to Afghanistan on the basis of your claimed adverse attention by the Taliban.”

The letter Mina received detailing her rejection added that she “likely has a great support network” due to her occupation.

The Home Office found that “there are no compassionate factors” in her case that would “warrant a grant of leave to remain outside the immigration rules.”

Mina said:  “When I arrived here, I felt safe. I thought I would have a chance to live. In Afghanistan I had not been considered a human. I learned to ride a bicycle here, something I was not allowed to do in my country.

“I was really full of hope that my life would change. But someone pressed pause on my life. I hope someone will press play again.”

A Home Office spokesperson said: “It is our longstanding policy not to comment on individual cases.”